I know racing runs in the family -- so it was no surprise that yesterday I was damn near ready to sign up for Nascar racing.
I had a meeting downtown at 1616 Walnut. Of course, everyone was asking me for this, that and the other thing - and I walked out the door at 1:35 and my meeting started at 2:00 p.m.
Not only did I face down construction traffic on I-95.
I faced down a torn up tire from a tractor trailer somewhere past Cottman - everyone else in front of me was swerving at the last minute - someone damn near clipped the car in the lane next to them.
This threw the tire into the middle of my lane and I somehow noticed that I had just enough room to swerve into the other lane and back in again and not get hit by the car that wasn't next to me in the right lane - but was almost in my trunk.
So I literally accelerated towards the tire then swerved into the right lane and back into the left again.
This was awesome.
This also left the poor asshole behind me to run right over the tire because I probably distracted him.
THEN there was the twin size mattress.
Immediately after the Girard Exit looms the 3rd lane literally at a dead halt, just when everyone else is speeding up after the construction slowdown.
People are trying to get out of this lane on the left and right and nearly causing more accidents.
Everyone is afraid to get into the 3rd lane after the mattress for fear of even more debris to follow.
Me, seeing it is now 1:56 swerve right next to the line of stopped cars, and cut into the dreaded 3rd lane and get around the now slowing traffic wondering what else they're going to encounter on the road that day.
676 to the Broad Exit, cutting across lanes down to JFK Blvd. without stopping at one light (when I probably should've stopped at 3...)
Take 15th down the Walnut, seeing its now 2:02 and I still have to get to a parking garage.
Large truck doing weird street construction just after 16th on Walnut.... and a newspaper truck pulls out from in front of the construction truck back into traffic, leaving a spot open for me to literally swerve into.
One stupid parking machine later (it was stuck in Spanish mode?) and I'm dashing into the lobby into an elevator whose doors are about to close and ride up to the third floor - walk into the officer on the coat tails of Cultural Alliance employees coming back from lunch and slip into the boardroom as everyone is about to settle down at start the meeting at 2:05.
I miss the first two minutes of content just sitting there dwelling on my sheer awesomeness.
The meeting left me just enough time to consult with tech support about a problem I was having to then race down to my car and be fishing my keys out of my monster of a purse as the meter maid walked by to start ticketing cars for the 3:30 cutoff time on Walnut Street.
I cruise home to classic rock and am in my house by 4:10 - happy to pretend that I technically could've went back to my office for another 50 minutes.
Then I found some website hosting the House premiere - so I sat rivetted to my computer for an hour & a half praying Fox wouldn't find this streaming file in the time I was watching it and take down the website for piracy.
Got through the whole thing without a hitch.
For as much as my job kills my soul. It's a paycheck when things out there are scary.
But the tail end of yesterday, kicked a largely unmeasurable amount of ass.
23 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment