27 May 2006

Harlan Glow
Backlogged Post from Deleted Myspace Account
Original Date: March 13, 2006 9:51 pm


So I'm back from my week in Harlan, KY for Project Appalachia.

Let me just say it's totally affected my life.
I've never done a service project like this.
Heck, I don't think I've ever really done anything that would truly count as a real service projet.
But I totally just dedicated my Spring Break to getting up at 6:30 to go climb up onto the frame of a house and slap a roof on it - shingles and all
And I loved it.

There was something about being on the roof.
I called my parents at one point and told them that if I couldn't land a job or get into grad school I would totally just go off and be a roofer.
Because I'm good at it.
And I haven't been this satisfied with a task in a very long while.
There's something about finishing a long day's work and actually seeing your progress. It's tangible. It's not some stupid paper you write for class, slaving over it - yet not really trying -- and just get a letter for it to go on some piece of paper that says you can get a 'degree' - really, whatever that means.

I wasn't afraid of the roof's edge -- I was so proud of my new friends who confessed they were actually afraid of heights but were still there working with me -- because it wasn't a big deal for me to be that high.
I think falling out of a plane at 12,000 feet does that to you, y'know?

I woke up yesterday and found it odd that I didnt' have to wait in line for a good 20 minutes to get into the bathroom.

There were singalongs - my van was priceless - its passengers I wouldn't have changed for the world. There was the campfire. The waterfall. I went in. And I was free.

The hike to it made me miss hiking so much. I need a trip to Hawk Mountain at the very least - soon.

Much more on my mind at the moment, but there's too much going on.

I'm just thankful for coming home with more 40 friends who are too amazing for words.

And keep thinking of clear days on the roof...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

All the World's A Stage
Backlogged Post from Deleted Myspace Account
Original Date: April 23, 2006 6:24 pm

Weeks have come and gone -- and today was the last performance of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare [Abridged].
It all went by so fast - I feel like our first rehearsal was only a few days ago - but it's already over - the fantastic five we are - we're done.

Talk about a great cast experience. Everything was just so lighthearted and happy. Considering when put all together we had the mindset of a five year old on speed, the times were very good.
The show itself was a hoot - and definitely the most physically demanding I've ever done.
Oh for the love of the stage - one mild concussion later. I'm still alive... Mostly. (Oh Polonius, your death throws art painful...)
I probably had way too much fun throwing this show together - but all in all, I think it was really called for, considering how much of my time it ate up, how it made getting my work done so much more difficult, etc.
But it was definitely worth it.

Not gonna lie though - today was the last show the Seniors had to be involved - and it hurt. For our Green Room pre-show 'traditions' I guess you'd call them, I totally almost burst into tears. I'm so close to the graduating class - they've been my roommates, and closest friends for most of my time here. It won't be the same without them (not that it's ever the same any year here.)
I have high hopes for next year as far as most things go. I'm excited for E-board, I can't wait to work with them... Our shows sound fun... Everybody's living in the townhouses - and my Seniors are staying local.


I have one week of classes left - and then finals.
After that - my responsibilities shall dwindle - if only for a short while.
There'll be Senior Week techie madness, and cleanout fun.
Then I get to have fun with the Archdiocesan Boys Choir in a production of Oliver! because life's just funny that way.
I get to sing and dance my little heart out as Nancy 3 nights in a row because of a random encounter on campus.
Living in Basil's over the summer so I can work here shall be interesting to say the least.

And I do turn 21 in just under a month...

No comments: