16 November 2007

Read on for a jumble of things that may prove scatterbrained - it's more for my own benefit than anything else.

My taste in men has clearly changed through college without my really knowing it.

Perhaps I can use that as an excuse as to why I never went beyond concert hookups or close calls but I won't - because that's not where I'm headed with this.

I broke it off with Jim. Most people know this.

While working at Bates, I noticed a trend with the guys - a lot of them were volunteer firefighters, or worked with the police, etc.
And regardless of whether or not I found myself attracted to them, I felt a distinct admiration for them.

I think I'm tired of nerd chic.

I feel very Madonna right now. Reinventing myself, changing things I don't like about myself, inside and out.
The weight loss, the even shorter haircut, the job for the sake of seeing if theater is where I want to be.
It makes sense that my tastes would change too, right?
One of the things I hear most often from other folks is kudos about my being thoughtful, helpful, - many 'you didn't have to do that's - which I always absorb and feel validated by.
There are a lot of self-centered people in this world.
I'm not saying I'm not one of them. I know how much I feel for other people. But whether or not those feelings become tangible acts of my own appreciation towards them actually happens is another thing. It's there though.

I had a few people tell me I should hang on to what I have till I find something better.
While throwing away the near underwear model might have been a bad choice in their eyes, I simply had to do it.
I don't want to pretend, or end up hurting him, and constantly telling him to 'just shut up and look pretty' wasn't a route I was willing to take. He didn't get hints, he wasn't trainable, and despite Chris' recommendation that I enjoy creating my own monster, I wasn't up to it. Not for that one, though he could be very thoughtful.

There's a line between being thoughtful and giving though.
And when things stack up, its the giving that counts.

Do I want the type of guy who'd risk his life in saving someone else's every day?
The kind of selflessness that's so pure that it's inevitable that he'll be hurt, or killed?
Maybe that won't be what I'll end up with even for a little while, and I know having a 'type' is just a way to limit yourself, but I don't know... it's a place to start.

For now, I'm much happier just with myself.
My car died a little while back, and I've had to walk places - like home from the hair salon last week.

I just walked, listening to music by myself enjoying the brisk day and felt amazed that I was so content just to be.
I think I need to keep working with that before I worry too much about the fact that I'm single.

Hooroo settling, hello getting it just right.

6 comments:

kw said...

Eh, as long as you live to your own expectations that's what's worth it...

Nothing's worse than being in a situation that doesn't feel right and just going along with it against your better judgment..

......

kthxbyeeeeeee

Kate said...

I can see and sense the change in you too. On one hand its kind of scary, cuz I want to know the new Amy too. But on the other hand, its hard to be anything other than thrilled for you, because I can tell how much happier you are.

About the boy.. I don't know much about that situation really, but kudos for doing what you felt was right and what you felt you needed, despite what others were saying. I'm glad you're one of those people who is actually happy being single...so many others seem to cling to any guy they can just so they won't be. You should never settle. And I whole-heartedly disagree with those who say you should hold on to what you have until something better comes along. To me, thats taking advantage of whoever you're holding on to, just so you won't be single. Like you said, hooroo settling, hello getting it just right :)

We should have a long chat sometime soon - miss you.

Val said...

Yay for sticking to your beliefs on the guy situation! Whoever told you to stick with Jim until you find someone else better is retarded (no offense). I'm actually shocked that Papa told you to mold him. That shouldn't be your job. You should already like the person. I'm happy that you were able to recognize that and value that over Papa's sometimes persuasive reccommendations.

I'm happy that you're happy with what you chose to do in this situation. As far as trying to figure out what type of guy you want, well that's another story entirely. If you learn how to narrow down "what you want in a guy" by all means, teach me! Sometimes you'll know what works best not by looking for it, but just by running into it at random.

And by the way, we are WAY overdue for a "Girls Rule, Boys Drool" Party/sleepover. I say that's a must for Christmas break!

<3
-Babiest

Doug said...

But boys don't drool, do they?

Oh dear God, my life...my life has amounted to a drooling failure! Whatever will become of me ::theatrical swoon::

Joking aside, props to you Amy on pursuing your dreams. I know I haven't talked to you in a while outside of the short encounter at the Alumni gathering...and it's good to know you're doing well. The world could always use more thoughtful people like you.

Peace and Good Things :)

P.S. I'm anticipating what Megan told me will be a Christmas Gathering: Part Deux in the Philadelphia/Surrounding Suburbs Area this time!

Val said...

I'm totally with Doug on all three accounts:

1. Doug no longer needs to worry about going to medical school because all he has in his future is a life full of drool.

2. The world needs more Amy L. Nickersons.

3. We need to rock out this Megan visit!

<3 (again)
-Babiest

Unknown said...

i love that my philly trip has become such an anticipated event...

i have no idea when it will take place...although i would love for new years to be part of it (jason and i have nothing to do for it...). because the mall is open between christmas and new years (although, who needs to shop then?) i have to leave myself some availablitiy at hallmark. this will be discussed in more detail...but i am coming to the philadelphia suburbs...be ready.

also, i would love to crash at the nickerson residence...along the quiet deleware...in rocking chairs...it's a very relaxing place to be.

k...loveyoubye!