I'm sitting at work, and the singers for our upcoming Winter Musicale are having at it in the lobby rehearsing. I quickly turned on my iPod so the same songs wouldn't drive me crazy -- but I *did* go right to my Tis Christmas, Bitch! playlist for a snippet of Christmas cheer. I seem to do that daily - pick a few Christmas songs I really enjoy and then go back to regular music.
But here are my five favorites, in no particular order:
~*~*~*~*~
Bizarre Christmas Incident - Ben Folds
This song was written with intended use on the How the Grinch Stole Christmas soundtrack. It was promptly deemed as too Effed up for a children's film, and Folds subsequently produced the not nearly as entertaining, "Lonely Christmas Eve." Incident is a macbre bluegrass number about Santa Claus getting stuck in a chimney with... non-traditional results.
~*~*~*~*~
Last Christmas - Wham! (ie. George Michael)
Who doesn't find the antics of George Michael amusing these days - but somewhere along the line he really hit the nail on its head when he recorded this song. 'Nuff said. :-)
~*~*~*~*~
Hard Candy Christmas - The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
(for the love of God, not the Dolly Parton version)
So I'm partial, having performed this number. But every time I hear the dreaded DP version on the radio, I automatically want to hear the Broadway Cast version at the same time. It's not even particularly Christmassy, this song - only the chorus implies it - I don't even know what a Hard Candy Christmas actually is. But I like the resolve of the lyrics, "I'm barely getting through tomorrow, still I won't let sorrow bring me way down. I'll be fine."
~*~*~*~*~
White Christmas - The Drifters
You all know this version, brought into our childhoods through Home Alone, when Macaulay Culkin lip syncs to this in the mirror. It's such a unique verision of this song. I almost enjoy older crackling recordings of this song that haven't been digitally remastered even more than the spruced up ones. Something about its having an older feel to it just feels very classic Christmas for me.
~*~*~*~*~
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
So it's the original version of this song. (And also featured in Home Alone oddly enough.)
It really inspires additional motion in ones ocean at hearing this song, as if your body is saying, "Where is a bloody Christmas Tree, so I can rock around it already?"
Runners Up
Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney (Sooo repetitive. Sooo catchy.)
Dominic the Donkey - Lou Monte (Everyone in my family chuckles when they hear this atrocity, as my cousin once incredulously vocalized, "It's time to lick the donkey? What the hell?" at like, age 9.)

1 comment:
I am a big fan of you singing Hard Candy Christmas :-) But then again, I'm a huge fan of you singing pretty much anything.
Am I the only one who does not particularly care for Dominick the Donkey? Really now! My family is obsessed with it (yeah I know, laugh it up). Steve almost dumped me when I said I didn't like it. I find it annoying...or maybe it's just annoying when a girl scout troop of 4th graders practices performing it in your kitchen for three days straight. Yeah, that could do it.
<3
Babiest
Post a Comment