18 December 2008

I was doing so well!

I read two novels by Neil Gaiman, one of them also penned by Terry Pratchett, called Good Omens - this being similar to the film Dogma but years older, and ten times funnier.

Then Gaiman's world famous Neverwhere, and after that Stardust.


I finally read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-5, Joseph Heller's Catch-22.

The twistedly brilliant Time Traveler's Wife, and then Kazuo Ishiguro's heartbreaking Never Let Me Go. I even gave Annie Proulx's short stories a chance (I really don't like short stories... I adored her Shipping News though) by reading Heart Songs.



Eight Books.

Eight REAL books, and I stumbled.

Goodreads sent me an email update... someone had read Dead Until Dark.
The first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series... of eight so far. Go figure.
I went to my library's website... and put it on hold minutes later.
Less than a week later, I'm already on the 4th book.

At least I can say there's great characterization, great stories -- its better than Twilight. It feels more real than Twilight. It's not as sappy and idealistic.
But its still trashy vampire fiction.
And I love it so dearly...

Sigh.
I'm still putting a dent into my library copy of The Golden Compass. It's less exciting have seen the movie, but still interesting.

I still have a copy of Albert Camus' The Plague on my bookshelf at home, along with his The Fall, and Exile & The Kingdom, and Annie Proulx novel Postcards from the library.


Lets face it - all these other books will receive little attention till i finish all 8 of the currently published books until I can get my hands on the 9th book due in 2009.
This is what I do when I get obsessed with a book series.

It was nice, being a semi-intelligent reader, while it lasted.... :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

1. nothing wrong with "trashy" books. they still get you reading and thinking.

2. if you want some recommendations for "real" books, i have quite a few from this semester. some are history-ish, but not much.

3. yay for blog updates!